Module 1: Linking Water, Peace & Security
This module provides an introduction to the Water Peace and Security (WPS) framework as a whole as well as the interlinkages of water, peace and security. This module outlines the WPS approach and how this is tailored to suit the broader fields of water, conflict and cooperation.
The first video introduces the concepts of water, peace, and security which are built upon in the second video which discusses their interrelations. The third video puts these concepts in context through a case study in Mali. The instruction, readings, and activities are guided by the following learning objectives:
- Explain and identify the interlinkages of water, peace and security. Also introduce key concepts and challenges and potential relations (pathways) between water-related risks, human insecurity and conflict
- Discuss and reflect different angles and perspectives
- Understand the complexity and variety of water, peace and security; understand what intervening factors could influence the conflict- or cooperation-driving role of water challenges
- Engage with the WPS approach, learn about the goals, strategies and approaches
Video 1.A: Introduction to WPS E-Learning
Video 1.B: Relationship between Water, Conflict and Peace
Video 1.C:Water and conflict linkage in Mali
- Are water and conflict linked and what actually links them? (Opinion Piece) - Water, Peace and Security partnership
- Managing Water Conflict and Cooperation (Book Chapter) - State of the World: Redefining Global Security, The Worldwatch Institute (2005)
- The Weaponization of Water in Syria and Iraq (Publication) - King, Marcus (2015)
- Water Resources, Institutions, and Intrastate Conflict (Publication) - Gizelis , Theodora-Ismene & Amanda E. Wooden (2010)
feedback WPS e-learning
Please feel free to provide your feedback on the WPS E-Learning course here.